Monday, February 12, 2007

Question 6

Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. Why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

The passage I chose to be the most significant to me is from the speech that Old Major makes. It reads: “Now, comrades, what is the nature of this life of ours? Let us face it: our lives are miserable, laborious, and short. We are born, we are given just so much food as will keep the breath in our bodies, and those of us who are capable of it are forced to work to the last atom of our strength; and the very instant that our usefulness has come to an end we are slaughtered with hideous cruelty. No animal in England knows the meaning of happiness or leisure after he is a year old. No animal in England is free. The life of an animal is misery and slavery: this is the plain truth.”
I find this passage very meaningful and valuable, also significant because this passage seems as if it is not about the lives of the animals but us, human beings. The reason being is that we spend some time of our lives wandering without knowing what true definition of happiness is. We work in order to stay healthy yet we do not know why we should do so. Some might have certain goals; however it is very hard to set the goals for your life. Therefore, to come to a conclusion, this passage gives me a chance to think about my life and gives me inspirations of what I need to do and I want to do.

2 comments:

Suzie said...

I chose the same passage as you. But, I wrote it in a very different perspective. Major's words made me to question if we really deserve to use animals like slaves. Anyway, I, too, think that we, humans tend to think in a downhearted way than we really are about our lives.

brian said...

man your passage is long. lol yea i agree with what you said on what you think about the passage. our lives may be longer than the animals but to think in other way, our lives are less than a second and we may be just living through each day not even thinking how we should spend the limited time we have.