Monday, February 12, 2007

Question 8

Overview of the book.

I find this book very interesting and fun to read. It illustrated the history and the reality of Russia and how Stalin corrupted because of his wrong decisions made. I personally recommend this book because not only is it fun to read and illustrate the reality of Stalinism and its inevitable corruption very well, but also there are many moral lessons that you can learn from simply reading this book. The author, George Orwell, had illustrated the human characters as animal characters, lowering our positions from those with power to those who obey ones that have power yet still describe the very human beings’ instinctive tendency of seeking for the freedom. Every character had surely illustrated well enough about human descriptions as well as representing the important character roles in Russian Revolution, for instance, having pride, being jealous of something better than what you have, not able to control yourself when you have the overwhelming power, so on so forth. Pigs had demonstrated jealousy, leadership, and overuse of the power inappropriately. Whereas the horses shown obedience, strength, faith and belief. This book contains characters and situations that not only happened in the Russian Revolution, although they were told in a way that they happened in animals’ lives on the Animal Farm, but also happens in our lives – everyone being equal, for example, however it is hard to accept. Anyway, I loved this novel ‘Animal Farm’ by George Orwell because it is an awesome book that is exciting, also you can learn a number of things like history of Russian Revolution and some moral lessons that you may find throughout the book.

4 comments:

Suzie said...

I also found this book very interesting, and I agree with you that the author has made attempt to describe Russian Revolution in a fun way. It is indeed fun, characterizing the public figures of Russian Revolution to animals. I also agree with you that the pigs are very well described for representing the people who misuse their power. Generally, I think you did a good job overviewing Animal Farm, and analyzing it.

P said...

I also liked the book when I read it. That is why I am going to read it for my next blog.
You did a wonderful job analyzing and discovering the main themes and other important factors of this book.
What I believe George Orwell tried to do with this novel was to show his discontent for the Soviet Union that was built on a government that was doomed to fail.
I suggest you reading Brave New World because it shows you the author's prediction on how the world will become like in the future. Obviously, the world won't become a perfect place, but the society in Brave New World almost reaches that goal sadly by sacrificing the most important value of mankind. Read it. (It is duller than Animal Farm, but it is a great book.)

Jennifer Seo said...

Hi,Jiwon This is Jennifer. I also enjoyed reading The Animal Farm because of the image the pigs portrayed of the humans nature. I allowed me to look back on myself and decide what is ethical and what is not. I also hope that everyone can look back at their evil nature and try their best to become more christ-like.
Just like you, I was able to take a look at our history, Russian Revolution to be specific, which was very nice.

Justine said...

Hey Jiwon :)
Only two people from our class read Animal Farm, so I'm leaving comments in other classes lolz...
I really respect the courage of George Orwell, to write such book in such period of time. I heard that the author had to use symbolization throughout the whole book to criticize Soviet Union, so that he could actually "publish" the book without getting punished by the government.
The author had actually used a great symbolization that when I read this book, I could recongnize that this book was criticizing communism at the same time. Each animal symbolized the powerful leaders of the Soviet Union, and resulting the courage of the author, it has now become one of the greatest book today.

Have a great day~ :)